Monday, July 30, 2012

Being a Mom

I used to pray for the day they would dress themselves, feed themselves or just entertain themselves for long enough that I could take a nap. Now I pray that they are dressing themselves (modestly) feeding themselves (healthy foods) and I guess the difference is that I lay awake worrying.

I think there is a point or an age that as a parent you just hope you have taught them well, that you have taught them enough for lifes harsh lessons. I don’t know that you can pin point that moment, and that is the hard part, harder than diaper changing, messes, and sleepless nights.

Is it when your heart breaks because kissing it better just isn’t enough?

Is it when you see them turn from a girl into a woman?

Is it when you see them stand firm in their convictions?

Or is it when as a parent you step back and let them lead their lives, when you become a bystander?

I think it is when you see them put into action, in their lives, the things they have been taught , taking responsibility for their actions and consequences, coming out the other end of a trial a stronger and wiser daughter of God.

I am so blessed beyond words to have been given two beautiful daughters and I marvel in the young women they are becoming, and that they still value my opinion and thoughts in their lives.

Being a mom is the BEST!

No comments: